Re: shared memory stats ideas - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: shared memory stats ideas
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Thanks for the nice list.

At Wed, 19 Oct 2022 12:37:30 -0700, Peter Geoghegan <pg@bowt.ie> wrote in
> On Wed, Oct 19, 2022 at 11:19 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > We e.g. currently can't track the number of blocks written out in a relation,
> > because we don't have a Relation at that point. Nor can't we really get hold
> > of one, as the writeback can happen in a different database without access to
> > pg_class. Which is also the reason why the per-relation IO stats aren't
> > populated by the startup process, even though it'd obviously sometimes be
> > helpful to know where the most IO time is spent on a standby.
> >
> > There's also quite a bit of contortions of the bufmgr interface related to
> > this.
>
> This seems related to the difficulty with distinguishing between
> internal pages and leaf pages (or some generalized AM-agnostic
> definition) in views like pg_statio_*_indexes.
>
> Differentiating between leaf pages and internal pages would definitely
> be a big improvement, but it's kind of an awkward thing to implement
> [1] because you have to somehow invent the general concept of multiple
> distinct kinds of buffers/pages within a relation. A lot of code would
> need to be taught about that.
>
> This work would be more likely to actually happen if it was tied to
> some bigger project that promised other benefits.

Stickier buffers for index pages seems to be related. I haven't see it
even get started, though.  But this might be able be an additional
reason for starting it.

> > 2) Split index and table statistics into different types of stats
>
> > This e.g. would allow us keep track of the number of index entries killed via
> > the killtuples mechanism, which in turn would allow us to more intelligently
> > decide whether we should vacuum indexes (often the most expensive part of
> > vacuum). In a lot of workload killtuples takes care of most of the cleanup,
> > but in others it doesn't do much.
>
> While I do agree that it would be nice to record information about the
> number of deletion operations per index, that information will still
> be tricky to interpret and act upon relative to other kinds of
> information. As a general rule, we should prefer to focus on signals
> that show things really aren't going well in some specific and
> unambiguous way. Signals about things that are going well seem harder
> to work with -- they don't generalize well.

I think some statistics can be pure-internal purpose. We can maintain
some statistics hidden from users, if we want. (However, I think
people will request for the numbers to be revealed, finally..)

> What I really mean here is this: I think that page split stuff is
> going to be much more interesting than index deletion stuff. Index
> deletion exists to prevent page splits. So it's natural to ask
> questions about where that seems like it ought to have happened, but
> didn't actually happen. This likely requires bucketing page splits
> into different categories (since most individual page splits aren't
> like that at all). Then it becomes much easier to (say) compare
> indexes on the same table -- the user can follow a procedure that is
> likely to generalize well to many different kinds of situations.
>
> It's not completely clear how the bucketization would work. We ought
> to remember how many page splits were caused by INSERT statements
> rather than non-HOT UPDATEs, though -- that much seems likely to be
> very useful and actionable. The DBA can probably consume this
> information in a low context way by looking at the proportions of one
> kind of split to the other at the level of each index.
>
> One type of split is mostly just a "cost of doing business" for B-Tree
> indexing. The other type really isn't.
>
> > 3) Maintain more historical statistics about vacuuming
>
> > However, none of that allows the user to identify which relations are causing
> > autovacuum to not keep up. Even just keeping track of the the total time
> > autovacuum has spent on certain relations would be a significant improvement,
> > with more easily imaginable (total IO [time], autovacuum delay time, xid age).
>
> With VACUUM in particular the picture over time can be far easier to
> work with than any given snapshot, from any single VACUUM operation.
> Focusing on how things seem to be changing can make it a lot easier to
> spot concerning trends, especially if you're a non-expert.

Agreed.  It seem like a kind of easy (low-hanging) one. I'll give it a
try.  There should be some other numbers that timeseries stats are
useful.

> I would also expect a similar focus on the picture over time to be
> useful with the indexing stuff, for roughly the same underlying
> reasons.
>
> [1] https://postgr.es/m/CAA8Fd-pB=mr42YQuoaLPO_o2=XO9YJnjQ23CYJDFwC8SXGM8zg@mail.gmail.com

regards.

--