Re: Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Move backup-related code to xlogbackup.c/.h
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Oct-14, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:

> On Fri, Oct 14, 2022 at 1:54 PM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > But alternatively, we could just remove emit_warning as a flag and have
> > the warning be emitted always; then we can use the boolean for the other
> > purpose.  I don't think the extra WARNING thrown during backup set-up is
> > going to be a problem, since it will mostly never be seen anyway (and if
> > you do see it, it's not a lie.)
>
> +1 for this.

OK, pushed 0001, but I modified it some more, because the flag is not
really a "quick exit" optimization but actually critical for
correctness; so I reworked the function to have an if block around it
rather than an early return, and I added an assert about the flag and
session backup state.  CI was green for it and on manual testing it
seems to work correctly.

"No es bueno caminar con un hombre muerto"