New "single-call SRF" APIs are very confusingly named - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject New "single-call SRF" APIs are very confusingly named
Date
Re: New "single-call SRF" APIs are very confusingly named  (Melanie Plageman <melanieplageman@gmail.com>)
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

I unfortunately just noticed this now, just after we released...

In

commit 9e98583898c347e007958c8a09911be2ea4acfb9
Author: Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz>
Date:   2022-03-07 10:26:29 +0900

    Create routine able to set single-call SRFs for Materialize mode

a new helper was added:

#define SRF_SINGLE_USE_EXPECTED    0x01    /* use expectedDesc as tupdesc */
#define SRF_SINGLE_BLESS        0x02    /* validate tuple for SRF */
extern void SetSingleFuncCall(FunctionCallInfo fcinfo, bits32 flags);

I think the naming here is very poor. For one, "Single" here conflicts with
ExprSingleResult which indicates "expression does not return a set",
i.e. precisely the opposite what SetSingleFuncCall() is used for. For another
the "Set" in SetSingleFuncCall makes it sound like it's function setting a
property.

Even leaving the confusion with ExprSingleResult aside, calling it "Single"
still seems very non-descriptive. I assume it's named to contrast with
init_MultiFuncCall() etc. While those are also not named greatly, they're not
typically used directly but wraped in SRF_FIRSTCALL_INIT etc.

I also quite intensely dislike SRF_SINGLE_USE_EXPECTED. It sounds like it's
saying that a single use of the SRF is expected, but that's not at all what it
means: "use expectedDesc as tupdesc".

I'm also confused by SRF_SINGLE_BLESS - the comment says "validate tuple for
SRF". BlessTupleDesc can't really be described as validation, or am I missing
something?

This IMO needs to be cleaned up.

Maybe something like InitMaterializedSRF() w/
MAT_SRF_(USE_EXPECTED_DESC|BLESS)

Greetings,

Andres Freund