Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-09-24 17:33:49 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 24, 2022 at 5:13 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > > One more question about this, that wasn't covered by the Wiki page: is
> > > there some equivalent to "make installcheck" with meson builds?
> >
> > Not yet. Nothing impossible, just not done yet. Partially because installcheck
> > is so poorly defined (run against an already running server for pg_regress vs
> > using "system" installed binaries for tap tests).
>
> Got it. I can work around that by just having an old autoconf-based
> vpath build directory. I'll need to do this when I run Valgrind.
>
> My workaround would be annoying if I needed to run "installcheck"
> anywhere near as frequently as I run "make check-world". But that
> isn't the case. meson delivers a significant improvement in the metric
> that really matters to me, so I can't really complain.

My gut feeling is that we should use this opportunity to split 'installcheck'
into two. "test a running server" and "test installed binaries".

I think the cleanest way to do this with meson would be to utilize meson
tests's "setups".
$ meson test --setup 'running-server'
would run all [selected] tests compatible with running against a running
server. And
$ meson test --setup 'installed'
would test installed binaries.

Greetings,