Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date
Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-09-22 13:21:28 -0700, Peter Geoghegan wrote:
> Is it generally recommended that individual hackers mostly switch over
> to Meson for their day to day work soon? I'm guessing that this
> question doesn't really have a clear answer yet, but thought I'd ask,
> just in case.

It'll probably depend on who you ask ;)

I'm likely the most biased person on this, but for me the reliable incremental
builds and the readability of the test output are big enough wins that the
answer is pretty clear... Doesn't hurt that running all tests is faster too.

The currently existing limitations are imo mostly around making it usable for
production, particularly on windows.

time to run all tests (cassert, -Og), in a fully built tree:

make:

time make -j48 -s -Otarget check-world
real    2m44.206s
user    6m29.121s
sys    1m54.069s

time make -j48 -s -Otarget check-world PROVE_FLAGS='-j4'
real    1m1.577s
user    7m32.579s
sys    2m17.767s

meson:

time meson test
real    0m42.178s
user    7m8.533s
sys    2m17.711s

FWIW, I just rebased my older patch to cache and copy initdb during the
tests. The %user saved is impressive enough to pursue it again...

time make -j48 -s -Otarget check-world PROVE_FLAGS='-j4'
real    0m52.655s
user    2m19.504s
sys    1m26.264s

time meson test: