Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - v13
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-09-22 13:05:33 -0700, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> I gave the meson build system a try, and it seems to work nicely.  It
> didn't take long at all to adapt my workflow.
>
> A few notes from my experience:
>
> * I'm using an Ubuntu-based distribution, and the version of meson that apt
> installed was not new enough for Postgres.  I ended up cloning meson [0]
> and using the newest tag.  This is no big deal.

I assume this is 20.04 LTS? If so, we're missing it by one version of meson
currently. There's unfortunately a few features that'd be a bit painful to not
have.

> * The installed binaries were unable to locate libraries like libpq.  I
> ended up setting the extra_lib_dirs option to the directory where these
> libraries were installed to fix this.  This one is probably worth
> investigating further.

I think that should be "fixed" in a later commit in the meson tree - any
chance you could try that?

https://github.com/anarazel/postgres/tree/meson

> * meson really doesn't like it when there are things leftover from
> configure/make.  Whenever I switch from make to meson, I have to run 'make
> maintainer-clean'.

Yes. I recommend building out-of-tree with autoconf as well.

> Otherwise, all of my usual build options, ccache, etc. are working just
> like before.  Nice work!

Cool!

Thanks for testing,

Andres Freund