Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Sep 15, 2022 at 04:53:09PM +1200, Thomas Munro wrote:
> Not sure it's OK to put random junk in ccache's directory, and in any
> case we'd certainly want to teach it to trim itself before doing that
> on CI...

> I suppose a version good enough to live in src/tools would need to
> trim the cache, and I don't enjoy writing code that deletes files in
> shell script, so maybe this'd need to be written in Python...

Maybe it'd be maybe better in python (for portability?).

But also, maybe the cache should be a single file with hash content in
it, plus the two cached files.  Then, rather than storing and pruning N
files with dynamic names, you'd be overwriting the same two files, and
avoid the need to prune.

As I understand, the utility of this cache is rebuilding when the
grammar hasn't changed; but it doesn't seem important to be able to use
cached output when switching branches (for example).

> bison="bison"

Maybe this should do:
: ${BISON:=bison} # assign default value

(and then change to refer to $BISON everywhere)

>        "--version")
>        "-d")
>        "-o")
>        "-"*)

These don't need to be quoted

>    echo "could not find .y file in command line arguments: $@"

Could add >&2 to write to stderr

> if [ -z "$SIMPLE_BISON_CACHE_PATH" ] ; then
>     SIMPLE_BISON_CACHE_PATH="/tmp/simple-bison-cache"
> fi

Maybe
: ${SIMPLE_BISON_CACHE_PATH:=/tmp/simple-bison-cache} # assign default value

--
Justin