Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: pgsql: aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbol
Date
List pgsql-committers

https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/cgi-bin/ssialias?subtype=ca&infotype=an&appname=iSource&supplier=897&letternum=ENUS214-162

> > Last two sungazer (gcc64) runs failed with a suspicious "missing magic block":
> > https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=sungazer&dt=2022-09-12%2006%3A24%3A53
> > https://buildfarm.postgresql.org/cgi-bin/show_log.pl?nm=sungazer&dt=2022-09-10%2018%3A09%3A11
> >
> > Both runs had the latest commits discussed above.  tern (gcc32) passed, but it
> > doesn't use --with-perl.
>
> I'll check it out tomorrow. I configured perl on the other AIX gcc compile
> farm machine building 64bit with both gcc and xlc, IIRC. I can't check rn,
> they seem to be down?

They're up.

> What is "perl64-for-gcc"?

===
#! /bin/sh

real_perl=perl64

case $* in
    '-MExtUtils::Embed -e ldopts' | \
    '-MConfig -e print $Config{ccdlflags}')
        $real_perl "$@" | sed 's/-b/-Wl,-b/g' ;;
    *)
        exec $real_perl "$@" ;;
esac
===

> > > Since xlc 13.1 supports all still supported AIX versions I'm inclined to think
> > > we should increase our requirement to 13.1 rather than revert back to the
> > > higher complexity way of building modules.
> >
> > Perhaps.  That would demolish two buildfarm members.
>
> Or you could update them to a slightly newer xlc? IIRC the machine has 13.x
> available?

I don't see 13.x, but I might not know where to look.

> > What does PostgreSQL lose if you revert fe6a64a?
>
> A somewhat readable Makefile.shlib. The prior state is complicated, specific
> to AIX. I've several times spent quite a bit of time understanding it - not
> helped by the complete lack of comments. It's not frequent enough to stay in
> my brain unfortunately, so I'll have to relearn it again next time. And we'll
> need to continue supporting Makefile.shlib for quite a while, so ...

I'm voting for a revert, then.  Code beautification is nice when it just
works, but desupporting this compiler to land this particular code
beautification makes the net value go negative for me.  I can understand your
feeling differently based on your recent experiences.