Re: best way to apply and work on the patches of the pg community - Mailing list pgsql-novice

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: best way to apply and work on the patches of the pg community
Date
List pgsql-novice
On 2022-Jul-15, mahendrakar s wrote:

> I would like to work on a patch published on hackers community( patch is
> from June, 2021). I cloned postgres code and tried to  apply the patch and
> got errors.
>
> *patch -p1 < ../0001-auth-generalize-SASL-mechanisms.patch*
> patching file src/backend/libpq/auth-scram.c
> Hunk #1 FAILED at 101.

I would suggest to do a "git checkout" to a point in the tree near where
the patch was posted, then do "patch -p1" or "git apply" or "git am",
which is likely to work without conflict; then commit.  Then you can
merge to the tip of whatever branch it is, and you will get the
conflicts then.  It may be simpler to fix the conflicts there (with
git's help).

"En las profundidades de nuestro inconsciente hay una obsesiva necesidad
de un universo lógico y coherente. Pero el universo real se halla siempre
un paso más allá de la lógica" (Irulan)