Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: shadow variables - pg15 edition
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Wed, Aug 24, 2022 at 12:37:29PM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Aug 2022 at 14:14, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > Actually, they didn't sneak in - what I sent are the patches which are ready to
> > be reviewed, excluding the set of "this" and "tmp" and other renames which you
> > disliked.  In the branch (not the squished patch) the first ~15 patches were
> > mostly for C99 for loops - I presented them this way deliberately, so you could
> > review and comment on whatever you're able to bite off, or run with whatever
> > parts you think are ready.  I rewrote it now to be more bite sized by
> > truncating off the 2nd half of the patches.
>
> Thanks for the updated patch.
>
> I've now pushed it after making some small adjustments.

Thanks for handling them.

Attached are half of the remainder of what I've written, ready for review.

I also put it here: https://github.com/justinpryzby/postgres/tree/avoid-shadow-vars

You may or may not find the associated commit messages to be useful.
Let me know if you'd like the individual patches included here, instead.

The first patch removes 2ndary, "inner" declarations, where that seems
reasonably safe and consistent with existing practice (and probably what the
original authors intended or would have written).

--
Justin

Attachment