Re: [BUG] parenting a PK constraint to a self-FK one (Was: Self FK oddity when attaching a partition) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

On 2022-Aug-23, Jehan-Guillaume de Rorthais wrote:

Hi,

[...]

> However, it seems get_relation_idx_constraint_oid(), introduced in eb7ed3f3063,
> assume there could be only ONE constraint depending to an index. But in fact,
> multiple constraints can rely on the same index, eg.: the PK and a self
> referencing FK. In consequence, when looking for a constraint depending on an
> index for the given relation, either the FK or a PK can appears first depending
> on various conditions. It is then possible to trick it make a FK constraint a
> parent of a PK...

Hmm, wow, that sounds extremely stupid.  I think a sufficient fix might
be to have get_relation_idx_constraint_oid ignore any constraints that
are not unique or primary keys.  I tried your scenario with the attached
and it seems to work correctly.  Can you confirm?  (I only ran the
pg_regress tests, not anything else for now.)

If this is OK, we should make this API quirkiness very explicit in the
comments, so the patch needs to be a few lines larger in order to be
committable.  Also, perhaps the check should be that contype equals
either primary or unique, rather than it doesn't equal foreign.

Attachment