Re: Symbol referencing errors - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Symbol referencing errors
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2019-04-23 06:23:13 +0100, Andrew Gierth wrote:
> I wonder if it's the use of -Bsymbolic that causes this (buildfarm logs
> don't seem to go back far enough to check). (Note to original poster:
> -Bsymbolic is there for a reason, you can't just remove it - but see
> below.)

For the record, yes, the "ld: warning: symbol referencing errors" warnings are
due to -Bsymbolic while linking extensions. The man page says:
"The link-editor issues warnings for undefined symbols  unless -z defs overrides"

> Since this is an ELF platform - arguably the closest thing to the
> original reference ELF platform, at least by descent - it should not
> require the kinds of tricks used on macOS and AIX; but we haven't done
> the work needed to test using version scripts in place of -Bsymbolic for
> fixing the symbol conflict problems. That ought to be a relatively
> straightforward project for someone with access to a system to test on
> (and I'm happy to advise on it).

It's indeed trivial - the only change needed from linux is to replace
-Wl,--version-script=... with -Wl,-M...

Greetings,

Andres Freund