Re: static libpq (and other libraries) overwritten on aix - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: static libpq (and other libraries) overwritten on aix
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-08-20 01:35:22 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> I'll send in a patch series tomorrow, too tired for today.

Here it goes.

0001 aix: Fix SHLIB_EXPORTS reference in VPATH builds

  That's mostly so I could even build. It's not quite right in the sense that
  we don't depend on the file, but that's a preexisting issue. Could be folded
  in with 0005, which fixes that aspect. Or it could be backpatched as the
  minimal fix.

0002 Remove SUBSYS.o rule in common.mk, hasn't been used in a long time
0003 Remove rule to generate postgres.o, not needed for 20+ years

  Both obvious, I think.

0004 aix: when building with gcc, tell gcc we're building a shared library

  That's the gcc -shared issue I explained in the email I'm replying to.

  We should probably consider building executables with -shared-libgcc too,
  that shrinks them a decent amount (e.g. 1371684 -> 1126765 for psql). But
  I've not done that here.

0005 aix: No need to use mkldexport when we want to export all symbols

  This makes the building of shared libraries a lot more similar to other
  platforms. Export files are only used when an exports.txt is present and
  there's no more intermediary static libraries.

0006 configure: Expand -fvisibility checks to more compilers, add -qvisibility

  This isn't strictly speaking part of the same "thread" of work, but I don't
  want to touch aix more often than I have too... I'll post it in the other
  thread too.

  I did just test that this passes at least some tests on aix with xlc and
  solaris with sunpro.

Greetings,

Andres

Attachment