Re: test failure with gcc-12 -O3 -march=native - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: test failure with gcc-12 -O3 -march=native
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-08-11 18:24:16 -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> > > Given that I did not encounter this problem with gcc-12 before, and that
> > > gcc-12 has been released, it seems less likely to be a bug in our code
> > > highlighted by a new optimization and more likely to be a bug in a gcc bugfix,
> > > but it's definitely not clear.
> >
> > debian testing is now defaulting to gcc-12.
> > https://tracker.debian.org/news/1348007/accepted-gcc-defaults-1198-source-into-unstable/
> >
> > Are you sure you were building with gcc-12 and not gcc(default) which, until 3
> > weeks ago, was gcc-11  ?
>
> Yes.
>
> I'm now bisecting...

I found the commit triggering it [1]. Oddly it's a change from a few months
ago, and I can reconstruct from dpkg.log and shell history that I definitely
ran the tests many times since upgrading the compiler.  I did however clean my
ccache cache yesterday, I wonder if somehow the 'old' version got stuck in
it. ccache says it checks the compiler's mtime though.

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1] https://gcc.gnu.org/git/?p=gcc.git;a=commit;h=1ceddd7497e