Re: shared-memory based stats collector - v70 - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: shared-memory based stats collector - v70
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-08-10 15:48:15 -0400, Greg Stark wrote:
> One thing that's bugging me is that the names we use for these stats
> are *all* over the place.

Yes. I had a huge issue with this when polishing the patch. And Horiguchi-san
did as well.  I had to limit the amount of cleanup done to make it feasible to
get anything committed. I think it's a bit less bad than before, but by no
means good.

> * The pg_stat_bgwriter view returns data from two different fixed
> entries, the checkpointer and the bgwriter, is there a reason those
> are kept separately but then reported as if they're one thing?

Historical raisins. Checkpointer and bgwriter used to be one thing, but isn't
anymore.

Greetings,

Andres Freund