Re: pg_get_constraintdef: Schema qualify foreign tables unless pretty printing is enabled - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pg_get_constraintdef: Schema qualify foreign tables unless pretty printing is enabled
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Aug-09, Lukas Fittl wrote:

> But I wonder, why do we have an explicit pretty printing flag on these
> functions, and PRETTYFLAG_SCHEMA in the code to represent this behavior.
> If we don't want pretty printing to affect schema qualification, why
> does that flag exist?

Because of CVE-2018-1058.  See commit 815172ba8068.

I imagine that that commit only touched the minimum necessary to solve
the immediate security problem, but that further work is needed to make
PRETTYFLAG_SCHEMA become a fully functional gadget; but that would
require that the whole of ruleutils.c (and everything downstream from
it) behaves sanely.  In other words, I think your patch is too small.