Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date
Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-08-06 22:55:14 -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> IMO, it'd be entirely reasonable for Andres to say that *he* doesn't
> want to fix the meson build scripts for niche platform X.  Then
> it'd be up to people who care about platform X to make that happen.
> Given the current plan of supporting the Makefiles for some years
> more, there wouldn't even be any great urgency in that.

The "problem" in this case is that maintaining pgxs compatibility, as we'd
discussed at pgcon, requires emitting stuff for all the @whatever@ things in
Makefile.global.in, including with_gnu_ld. Which lead me down the rabbithole
of trying to build on solaris, with sun studio, to see if we could just remove
with_gnu_ld (and some others).

There's a lot of replacements that really aren't needed for pgxs, including
with_gnu_ld (after the patch I just sent on the "baggage" thread). I tried to
think of a way to have a 'missing' equivalent for variables filled with bogus
contents, to trigger an error when they're used. But I don't think there's
such a thing?

I haven't "really" tried because recent-ish python fails to configure on
solaris without modifications, and patching python's configure was further
than I wanted to go, but I don't forsee much issues supporting building on
solaris with gcc.

Baring minor adjustments (for e.g. dragonflybsd vs freebsd), there's two
currently "supported" OS that require some work:
- AIX, due to the symbol import / export & linking differences
- cygwin, although calling that supported right now is a stretch... I don't
  think it'd be too hard, but ...

Greetings,

Andres Freund