Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
Date
Re: failing to build preproc.c on solaris with sun studio
List pgsql-hackers
On Sat, Aug 06, 2022 at 05:43:50PM -0700, Andres Freund wrote:
> On 2022-08-06 17:25:52 -0700, Noah Misch wrote:
> > >
> > > Seems like it's only a matter of time before we add enough stuff to
> > > the grammar that the build fails, period.
> >
> > I wouldn't worry about that enough to work hard in advance.  The RAM usage can
> > grow by about 55% before that's a problem.  (The 14G ulimit can tolerate a
> > raise.)  By then, the machine may be gone or have more RAM.  Perhaps even
> > Bison will have changed its code generation.  If none of those happen, I could
> > switch to gcc, hack things to use gcc for just preproc.o, etc.
>
> Sure, we can hack around it in some way. But if we need such hackery to
> compile postgres with a compiler, what's the point of supporting that
> compiler?  It's not like sunpro provides with awesome static analysis or such.

To have a need to decide that, PostgreSQL would need to grow preproc.o such
that it causes 55% higher RAM usage, and the sunpro buildfarm members extant
at that time would need to have <= 32 GiB RAM.  I give a 15% chance of
reaching such conditions, and we don't gain much by deciding in advance.  I'd
prefer to focus on decisions affecting more-probable outcomes.