Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-08-04 16:07:01 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 3, 2022 at 7:15 AM Dilip Kumar <dilipbalaut@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Another version of the patch which closes the smgr at the end using
> > smgrcloserellocator() and I have also added a commit message.
>
> I have reviewed this patch and I don't see a problem with it. However,
> it would be nice if Andres or someone else who understands this area
> well (Tom? Thomas?) would also review it, because I also reviewed
> what's in the tree now and that turns out to be buggy, which leads me
> to conclude that I don't understand this area as well as would be
> desirable.

I don't think this issue is something I'd have caught "originally"
either. It's probably more of a "fake relcache entry" issue (or undocumented
limitation) than a bug in the new code.

I did a quick review upthread - some minor quibbles aside, I think it looks
good.

> I'm inclined to hold off on committing this until next week, not only
> for that reason, but also because there's a wrap planned on Monday,
> and committing anything now seems like it might have too much of a
> risk of upsetting that plan.

Makes sense. Unlikely to be a blocker for anybody.

Greetings,

Andres Freund