Re: Memory leak fix in psql - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Memory leak fix in psql
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Jul-21, Japin Li wrote:

> On Thu, 21 Jul 2022 at 09:48, Michael Paquier <michael@paquier.xyz> wrote:

> > We are talking about 256 bytes being leaked in each loop when a
> > validation pattern or when a query fails, so I don't see a strong
> > argument in manipulating 10~14 more than necessary for this amount of
> > memory.  The contents of describe.c are the same for v15 though, and
> > we are still in beta on REL_15_STABLE, so I have applied the patch
> > down to v15, adding what Alvaro has sent on top of the rest.
>
> Thanks for the explanation!  IMO, we could ignore v10-13 branches, however,
> we should backpatch to v14 which also uses the validateSQLNamePattern()
> function leading to a memory leak.

I'd agree in principle, but in practice the commit from 15 does not apply
cleanly on 14 -- there's a ton of conflicts.

"Here's a general engineering tip: if the non-fun part is too complex for you
to figure out, that might indicate the fun part is too ambitious." (John Naylor)
https://postgr.es/m/CAFBsxsG4OWHBbSDM%3DsSeXrQGOtkPiOEOuME4yD7Ce41NtaAD9g%40mail.gmail.com