Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)
Date
Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Jul-20, Alvaro Herrera wrote:

> I also change the use of allow_invalid_pages to
> allow_in_place_tablespaces.  We could add a
> separate GUC for this, but it seems overengineering.

Oh, but allow_in_place_tablespaces doesn't exist in versions 14 and
older, so this strategy doesn't really work.

I see the following alternatives:

1. not backpatch this fix to 14 and older
2. use a different GUC; either allow_invalid_pages as previously
   suggested, or create a new one just for this purpose
3. not provide any overriding mechanism in versions 14 and older

"Always assume the user will do much worse than the stupidest thing
you can imagine."                                (Julien PUYDT)