Re: Makefile.global will override configure parameters if "pgsql" and "postgres" appear anywhere in the source path name - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Makefile.global will override configure parameters if "pgsql" and "postgres" appear anywhere in the source path name
Date
In response to Makefile.global will override configure parameters if "pgsql" and "postgres" appear anywhere in the source path name  (Andy Bailey <bailey@akamai.com>)
Responses Re: Makefile.global will override configure parameters if "pgsql" and "postgres" appear anywhere in the source path name  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-bugs
On 2022-Jul-15, Andy Bailey wrote:

> After some investigation, I found that the value of pkglibdir (as used
> by src/Makefile.global and various other places) was different even
> though the ./configure invocations were identical. Eventually, I found
> that Makefile.global was the culprit, with some sections like:
>
> pkglibdir = $(libdir)
> ifeq "$(findstring pgsql, $(pkglibdir))" ""
> ifeq "$(findstring postgres, $(pkglibdir))" ""
> override pkglibdir := $(pkglibdir)/postgresql
> endif
> endif

Right.  See commit 984b0b4df83f and its discussion at [1].  The working
theory (as I remember it) is that if the installation is already
postgres-specific (because the user has made it so by having "pgsql" or
"postgres" in the argument to --prefix), then we don't need to add
another level of postgres-specificity to it; but otherwise we add
"/postgresql" to the path so that the resulting files don't end up mixed
with files installed by unrelated packages.

[1] https://www.postgresql.org/message-id/flat/Pine.LNX.4.21.0010042208350.934-100000%40peter.localdomain