Re: Fix gcc warning in sync.c (usr/src/backend/storage/sync/sync.c) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: Fix gcc warning in sync.c (usr/src/backend/storage/sync/sync.c)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Mon, 11 Jul 2022 01:45:16 -0400, Tom Lane <tgl@sss.pgh.pa.us> wrote in
> [ cc'ing Thomas, whose code this seems to be ]
>
> Kyotaro Horiguchi <horikyota.ntt@gmail.com> writes:
> > At Sat, 9 Jul 2022 21:53:31 -0300, Ranier Vilela <ranier.vf@gmail.com> wrote in
> >> 528 |    entry = (PendingUnlinkEntry *) lfirst(cell);
>
> > Actually, I already see the following line (maybe) at the place instead.
> >> PendingUnlinkEntry *entry = (PendingUnlinkEntry *) lfirst(cell);
>
> Yeah, I see no line matching that in HEAD either.
>
> However, I do not much like the code at line 528, because its
> "PendingUnlinkEntry *entry" is masking an outer variable
> "PendingFsyncEntry *entry" from line 513.  We should rename
> one or both variables to avoid that masking.

I thought the same at the moment looking this.  In this case, changing
entry->syncent, unl(del)lent works. But at the same time I don't think
that can be strictly applied.

So, for starters, I compiled the whole tree with -Wshadow=local. and I
saw many warnings with it.  At a glance all of them are reasonably
"fixed" but I don't think it is what we want...

Thoughts?

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi