Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: PG 15 (and to a smaller degree 14) regression due to ExprEvalStep size
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-06-24 10:29:06 -0400, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> On 2022-06-23 Th 21:51, Andres Freund wrote:
> >> IMHO, it would be nice to get something done for beta2.  Now the
> >> thread is rather fresh and I guess that more performance study is
> >> required even for 0004, so..
> > I don't think there's a whole lot of performance study needed for 0004 - the
> > current state is obviously wrong.
> >
> > I think Andrew's beta 2 comment was more about my other architectural
> > complains around the json expression eval stuff.
>

> Right. That's being worked on but it's not going to be a mechanical fix.

Any updates here?

I'd mentioned the significant space use due to all JsonCoercionsState for all
the types. Another related aspect is that this code is just weird - the same
struct name (JsonCoercionsState), nested in each other?

    struct JsonCoercionsState
    {
        struct JsonCoercionState
        {
            JsonCoercion *coercion; /* coercion expression */
            ExprState  *estate; /* coercion expression state */
        }           null,
                    string,
        numeric    ,
                    boolean,
                    date,
                    time,
                    timetz,
                    timestamp,
                    timestamptz,
                    composite;
    }           coercions;      /* states for coercion from SQL/JSON item
                                 * types directly to the output type */

Also note the weird numeric indentation that pgindent does...

> The attached very small patch applies on top of your 0002 and deals with
> the FmgrInfo complaint.

Now that the FmgrInfo is part of a separately allocated struct, that doesn't
seem necessary anymore.

- Andres