Re: bogus: logical replication rows/cols combinations - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: bogus: logical replication rows/cols combinations
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Apr-30, Amit Kapila wrote:

> I agree with throwing errors for obvious/known bogus cases but do we
> want to throw errors or restrict the combining of column lists when
> row filters are present in all cases? See some examples [1 ] where it
> may be valid to combine them.

I agree we should try to combine things when it is sensible to do so.
Another case that may make sense if there are two or more publications
with identical column lists but different row filters -- in such cases,
as Tomas suggested, we should combine the filters with OR.

Also, if only INSERTs are published and not UPDATE/DELETEs, then it
might be sensible to combine everything, regardless of whether or not
the column lists and row filters match.

"Tiene valor aquel que admite que es un cobarde" (Fernandel)