Re: Help with large delete - Mailing list pgsql-general

From Peter J. Holzer
Subject Re: Help with large delete
Date
List pgsql-general
On 2022-04-16 08:25:56 -0500, Perry Smith wrote:
> Currently I have one table that mimics a file system.  Each entry has
> a parent_id and a base name where parent_id is an id in the table that
> must exist in the table or be null with cascade on delete.
>
> I’ve started a delete of a root entry with about 300,000 descendants.
> The table currently has about 22M entries and I’m adding about 1600
> entries per minute still.  Eventually there will not be massive
> amounts of entries being added and the table will be mostly static.
>
> I started the delete before from a terminal that got detached.  So I
> killed that process and started it up again from a terminal less
> likely to get detached.˘
>
> My question is basically how can I make life easier for Postgres?

Deleting 300k rows doesn't sound that bad. Neither does recursively
finding those 300k rows, although if you have a very biased distribution
(many nodes with only a few children, but some with hundreds of
thousands or even millions of children), PostgreSQL may not find a good
plan.

So as almost always when performance is an issue:

* What exactly are you doing?
* What is the execution plan?
* How long does it take?

        hp