Re: typos - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Justin Pryzby
Subject Re: typos
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 09:39:42AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Apr 2022 at 05:40, Justin Pryzby <pryzby@telsasoft.com> wrote:
> > There's (only) a few remaining.
>
> I've pushed 0001 and 0002 of the 3rd batch of patches. I left 0003 as

Thanks

> I just didn't feel it was a meaningful enough improvement.
>
> From docs/, if I do:
>
> $ git grep ", which is the default" | wc -l
> 9
>
> $ git grep ", the default" | wc -l
> 64
>
> You're proposing to make the score 10, 63.  I'm not sure if that's a
> good direction to go in.

Well, I'm proposing to change the only instance of this:

$ git grep -F ", the default)"
doc/src/sgml/ref/create_publication.sgml:   partition's row filter (if the parameter is false, the default) or the
root

Maybe what's needed is more like this.

   If the publication contains a partitioned table, and the publication parameter
   <literal>publish_via_partition_root</literal> is false (the default), then the
   row filter is taken from the partition; otherwise, the row filter is taken
   from the root partitioned table.

I'll plan to keep this around and may come back to it later.

On Thu, Apr 14, 2022 at 08:56:22AM +1200, David Rowley wrote:
> I've left out the following change as it does not seem to be bringing
> any sort of consistency to the docs overall. It only brings
> consistency to a single source file in the docs.
>
> -      You need <productname>zstd</productname>, if you want to support
> +      You need <productname>ZSTD</productname>, if you want to support
>
> See: git grep -i ">zstd<"

It may not be worth changing just this one line, but the reason I included it
here is for consistency:

$ git grep 'zstd.*product' doc
doc/src/sgml/config.sgml:        <literal>zstd</literal> (if <productname>PostgreSQL</productname>
$ git grep 'ZSTD.*product' doc
doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml:     <term><productname>ZSTD</productname></term>
doc/src/sgml/install-windows.sgml:      Required for supporting <productname>ZSTD</productname> compression
doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml:      You need <productname>ZSTD</productname>, if you want to support
doc/src/sgml/installation.sgml:         Build with <productname>ZSTD</productname> compression support.

If we were to change it, maybe they should all say "Zstandard (zstd)".  ZSTD
looks like an acronym, which I think it is not, and Zstandard indicates how to
pronounce it.