Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Postgres restart in the middle of exclusive backup and the presence of backup_label file
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* David Steele (david@pgmasters.net) wrote:
> On 4/4/22 11:42 AM, Nathan Bossart wrote:
> >I noticed a couple of other things that can be removed.  Since we no longer
> >wait on exclusive backup mode during smart shutdown, we can change
> >connsAllowed (in postmaster.c) to a boolean and remove CAC_SUPERUSER.  We
> >can also remove a couple of related notes in the documentation.  I've done
> >all this in the attached patch.
>
> These changes look good to me. IMV it is a real bonus how much the state
> machine has been simplified.

Yeah, agreed.

> I've also run this patch through the pgbackrest regression tests without any
> problems.

Fantastic.

Please find attached an updated patch + commit message.  Mostly, I just
went through and did a bit more in terms of updating the documentation
and improving the comments (there were some places that were still
worrying about the chance of a 'stray' backup_label file existing, which
isn't possible any longer), along with some additional testing and
review.  This is looking pretty good to me, but other thoughts are
certainly welcome.  Otherwise, I'm hoping to commit this tomorrow.

Thanks!

Stephen

Attachment