Re: Higher level questions around shared memory stats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: Higher level questions around shared memory stats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

Alvaro, added you because you were the original author for a lot of that
code. Fujii, you touched it last...

6) Should any part of the "reuse_stats" logic in table_recheck_autovac() be
kept?

With the shared memory stats patch, autovacuum can cheaply access individual
stats, so the whole scheme for avoiding stats accesses is moot.

So far the patchset had touched autovacuum.c a bit too lightly, removing the
autovac_refresh_stats() call and rephrasing a few comments, but not removing
e.g. the reuse_stats variable / branches in table_recheck_autovac. Which
doesn't seem great.  I've just tried to go through and update the autovacuum.c
code and comments in light of the shared memory stats patch..

I don't really see a point in keeping any of it - but I was curious whether
anybody else does?

I'm still polishing, so I didn't want to send a whole new version with these
adjustments to the list yet, but you can see the state as of the time of
sending this email at [1].

Greetings,

Andres Freund

[1]