Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: standby recovery fails (tablespace related) (tentative patch and discussion)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
At Mon, 28 Mar 2022 10:37:04 -0400, Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2022 at 8:26 AM Alvaro Herrera <alvherre@alvh.no-ip.org> wrote:
> > On 2022-Mar-21, Alvaro Herrera wrote:
> > > I had a look at this latest version of the patch, and found some things
> > > to tweak.  Attached is v21 with three main changes from Kyotaro's v20:
> >
> > Pushed this, backpatching to 14 and 13.  It would have been good to
> > backpatch further, but there's an (textually trivial) merge conflict
> > related to commit e6d8069522c8.  Because that commit conceptually
> > touches the same area that this bugfix is about, I'm not sure that
> > backpatching further without a lot more thought is wise -- particularly
> > so when there's no way to automate the test in branches older than
> > master.
> >
> > This is quite annoying, considering that the bug was reported shortly
> > before 12 went into beta.
>
> I think that the warnings this patch issues may cause some unnecessary
> end-user alarm. It seems to me that they are basically warning about a
> situation that is unusual but not scary. Isn't the appropriate level
> for that DEBUG1, maybe without the errhint?

log_invalid_page reports missing pages with DEBUG1 before reaching
consistency.  And since missing directory is not an issue if all of
those reports are forgotten until reaching consistency, DEBUG1 sounds
reasonable.  Maybe we lower the DEBUG1 messages to DEBUG2 in
XLogRememberMissingDir?

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center