Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pg_walinspect - a new extension to get raw WAL data and WAL stats
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-03-24 15:02:29 +0530, Bharath Rupireddy wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 24, 2022 at 10:22 AM Kyotaro Horiguchi
> > This doesn't seem to be a part of xlogreader.  Couldn't we add a new
> > module "xlogstats"?  XLogRecGetBlockRefInfo also doesn't seem to me as
> > a part of xlogreader, the xlogstats looks like a better place.
>
> I'm not sure if it's worth adding new files xlogstats.h/.c just for 2
> structures, 1 macro, and 2 functions with no plan to add new stats
> structures or functions. Since xlogreader is the one that reads the
> WAL, and is being included by both backend and other modules (tools
> and extensions) IMO it's the right place. However, I can specify in
> xlogreader that if at all the new stats related structures or
> functions are going to be added, it's good to move them into a new
> header and .c file.

I don't like that location for XLogRecGetBlockRefInfo(). How about putting it
in xlogdesc.c - that kind of fits?

And what do you think about creating src/backend/access/rmgrdesc/stats.c for
XLogRecStoreStats()? It's not a perfect location, but not too bad either.

XLogRecGetLen() would be ok in xlogreader, but stats.c also would work?

Greetings,

Andres Freund