Re: turn fastgetattr and heap_getattr to inline functions - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: turn fastgetattr and heap_getattr to inline functions
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Mar-24, Japin Li wrote:

> I want to know why we do not use the following style?
>
> +static inline Datum
> +heap_getattr(HeapTuple tup, int attnum, TupleDesc tupleDesc, bool *isnull)
> +{
> +    if (attnum > 0)
> +    {
> +        if (attnum > (int) HeapTupleHeaderGetNatts(tup->t_data))
> +            return getmissingattr(tupleDesc, attnum, isnull);
> +        else
> +            return fastgetattr(tup, attnum, tupleDesc, isnull);
> +    }
> +
> +    return heap_getsysattr(tup, attnum, tupleDesc, isnull);
> +}

That was the first thing I wrote, but I can't get myself to like it.
For this one function the code flow is obvious enough; but if you apply
the same idea to fastgetattr(), the result is not nice at all.

If there are enough votes for doing it this way, I can do that.

I guess we could do something like this instead, which seems somewhat
less bad:

if (attnum <= 0)
    return heap_getsysattr(...)
if (likely(attnum <= HeapTupleHeaderGetNattrs(...)))
    return fastgetattr(...)

return getmissingattr(...)

but I still prefer the one in the v2 patch I posted.

It's annoying that case 0 (InvalidAttrNumber) is not well handled
anywhere.