Re: killing perl2host - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: killing perl2host
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-02-17 14:40:01 -0500, Andrew Dunstan wrote:
> Sure, that could be done, but what's the issue? Msys2 normally defines
> MSYSTEM for you - see /etc/msystem which is sourced by /etc/profile.

It seems not a great idea to me to use different sources of truth about build
target. And I think it's not hard to get the actual host_os and MSYSTEM to
disagree:
- afaics it's quite possible to run configure outside of a login msys shell
- you could do an msys build in a ucrt shell, but specify --host=x86_64-pc-msys,
  or the other way round

There's probably also some stuff about cross building from linux, but that
doesn't matter much, because right now wine doesn't get through even the base
regression tests (although it gets through initdb these days, which is nice).

> > Or the test just implemented in
> > configure, as I suggested.
> >

> No, because we don't know which perl will be invoked by $PROVE. That's
> why we set up check_modules.pl in the first place.

Ah.

Greetings,

Andres Freund