Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [Proposal] Fully WAL logged CREATE DATABASE - No Checkpoints
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2022-02-11 16:19:12 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> I somewhat hope we never end up with THREE strategies for creating a new
> database, but now that I think about it, we might. Somebody might want to
> use a fancy FS primitive that clones a directory at the FS level, or
> something.

I think that'd be a great, and pretty easy to implement, feature. But it seems
like it'd be mostly orthogonal to the "WAL log data" vs "checkpoint data"
question? On the primary / single node system using "WAL log data" with "COW
file copy" would work well.

I bet using COW file copies would speed up our own regression tests noticeably
- on slower systems we spend a fair bit of time and space creating template0
and postgres, with the bulk of the data never changing.

Template databases are also fairly commonly used by application developers to
avoid the cost of rerunning all the setup DDL & initial data loading for
different tests. Making that measurably cheaper would be a significant win.

Greetings,

Andres Freund