Re: support for MERGE - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: support for MERGE
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2022-Feb-11, Justin Pryzby wrote:

> Because I put your patch on top of some other branch with the CI coverage (and
> other stuff).

Ah, that makes sense.

> But it has to figure out where the branch "starts".  Which I did by looking at
> "git diff --cherry-pick origin..."
>
> I'm not sure git diff --cherry-pick is widely known/used, but I think
> using that relative to master may be good enough.

I had never heard of git diff --cherry-pick, and the manpages I found
don't document it, so frankly I doubt it's known.  I still have no idea
what does it do.

I suppose there is an obvious reason why using git diff with
$(git merge-base ...) as one of the arguments doesn't work for these purposes.

> Andres thinks that does the wrong thing if CI is run manually (not by CFBOT)
> for patches against backbranches.

I wonder if it's sufficient to handle these things (coverage
specifically) for branch master only.

--
Álvaro Herrera              Valdivia, Chile  —  https://www.EnterpriseDB.com/
"Uno puede defenderse de los ataques; contra los elogios se esta indefenso"