Re: List of all* PostgreSQL EXTENSIONs in the world - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: List of all* PostgreSQL EXTENSIONs in the world
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Fri, Feb 11, 2022 at 09:22:01AM +0900, Ian Lawrence Barwick wrote:
> 2022年2月11日(金) 5:19 Joel Jacobson <joel@compiler.org>:
> >
> > Hi hackers,
> >
> > I've compiled a list of all* PostgreSQL EXTENSIONs in the world:
> >
> > https://gist.github.com/joelonsql/e5aa27f8cc9bd22b8999b7de8aee9d47
> >
> > *) It's not all, but 1041, compared to the 338 found on PGXN.
>
> The only one I consider of possible general, viable use (and which is available
> as part of the community packaging infrastructure) is also listed on PGXN.

Agreed, PGXN is already the official place for that and has all you need to
properly look for what you want AFAICT.

> > Maybe it would be an idea to provide a lightweight solution,
> > e.g. maintaining a simple curated list of repo urls,
> > published at postgresql.org or wiki.postgresql.org,
> > with a simple form allowing missing repos to be suggested for insertion?
>
> The wiki sounds like a good starting point, assuming someone is willing to
> create/curate/maintain the list. It would need weeding out of any
> extensions which
> are inactive/unmaintained, duplicates/copies/forks (e.g. I see three
> instances of
> blackhole_fdw listed, but not the original repo, which is not even on
> GitHub) etc..

There are already some repositories that tries to gather some curated list of
projects around postgres, which probably already have the same problem with
abandoned or simply moved projects.

The only real solution is to have authors keep publishing and updating their
tools on PGXN.