Re: Replacing TAP test planning with done_testing() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Julien Rouhaud
Subject Re: Replacing TAP test planning with done_testing()
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On Wed, Feb 09, 2022 at 03:01:36PM +0100, Daniel Gustafsson wrote:
> Whether or not to explicitly plan the number of TAP tests per suite has been
> discussed a number of times on this list, often as a side-note in an unrelated
> thread which adds/modifies a test.  The concensus has so far weighed towards
> not doing manual bookkeeping of test plans but to let Test::More deal with it.
> So far, no concrete patch to make that happen has been presented though.
>
> The attached patch removes all Test::More planning and instead ensures that all
> tests conclude with a done_testing() call.  While there, I also removed a few
> exit(0) calls from individual tests making them more consistent.
>
> Thoughts?

+1, I don't think it adds much value compared to the extra work it requires.
Not having the current total also doesn't seem much a problem, as it was said
on the other thread no tests is long enough to really care, at least on a
development box.

I still remember the last time I wanted to add some TAP tests to pg_dump, and
it wasn't pleasant.  In any case we should at least get rid of this one.

The patch itself looks good to me.