Re: pgsql: tests: Consistently use pg_basebackup -cfast --no-sync to accele - Mailing list pgsql-committers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: pgsql: tests: Consistently use pg_basebackup -cfast --no-sync to accele
Date
List pgsql-committers
Hi,

On 2022-01-18 10:18:36 +0900, Michael Paquier wrote:
> On Mon, Jan 17, 2022 at 11:48:02PM +0000, Andres Freund wrote:
> > tests: Consistently use pg_basebackup -cfast --no-sync to accelerate tests.
> >
> > Most tests invoking pg_basebackup themselves did not yet use -cfast, which
> > makes pg_basebackup take considerably longer. The only reason this didn't
> > cause the tests to take many minutes is that spread checkpoints only throttle
> > when writing out a buffer and there aren't that many dirty buffers in the
> > tests...
>
> Are you planning to back-patch any of this?  It seems to me that it
> would not hurt, and making the tests faster on back-branches saves
> time when working on those branches.

I hadn't planned to do so. Back-branch tests don't run even close to as often
and there's enough difference across the branches that it's a bit of
per-branch work to adjust. To me this mostly seems helpful to reduce test
times on buildfarm critters / CI and branches we constantly run the tests for.

Greetings,

Andres Freund