Re: BUG #17358: While using --with-uuid=bsd option, uuid_ossp test fails on NetBSD 9.2 - Mailing list pgsql-bugs

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: BUG #17358: While using --with-uuid=bsd option, uuid_ossp test fails on NetBSD 9.2
Date
List pgsql-bugs
Hi,

On 2022-01-07 15:48:52 -0500, Tom Lane wrote:
> https://man.netbsd.org/NetBSD-8.2/uuidgen.2
> https://man.netbsd.org/NetBSD-9.0/uuidgen.2
>
> We hadn't noticed because our one NetBSD 9.x buildfarm animal
> isn't building with --with-uuid :-(.

It's interesting that freebsd seems to continue generating a v1 uuid, given
that the manpage for netbsd says that uuidgen() stems from freebsd.

> Not sure about how to fix this nicely.  We've tried to avoid
> writing our own code for V1 UUIDs, but maybe we should just
> bite the bullet and do that?

It might be the most reasonable approach. We certainly seem to have spent at
least as much effort avoiding our own implementation than implementing it
ourselves.

We could also just have a configure test rejecting netbsd's uuidgen, so that
--with-uuid=bsd wouldn't support it anymore? Presumably forcing e2fs to be
used?

> The hard part seems like it'd be to get a MAC address from someplace.

We could grab it from ossp-uuid or e2fs - both seem to be compatibly licensed?

Greetings,

Andres Freund