Re: inefficient loop in StandbyReleaseLockList() - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Kyotaro Horiguchi
Subject Re: inefficient loop in StandbyReleaseLockList()
Date
Re: inefficient loop in StandbyReleaseLockList()  (Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de>)
List pgsql-hackers
At Thu, 28 Oct 2021 09:54:42 +0530, Amul Sul <sulamul@gmail.com> wrote in
> On Thu, Oct 28, 2021 at 9:07 AM Bossart, Nathan <bossartn@amazon.com> wrote:
> >
> > Hi hackers,
> >
> > I've seen a few cases now for v13 where the startup process on a
> > standby appears to be stuck on StandbyReleaseLockList().  It looks
> > like most of the time is spent on list_delete_first().  I believe this
> > is related to the recent list rewrite (1cff1b9), which has the
> > following note in the commit message:
> >
> >         * Inserting or deleting a list element now takes time proportional to
> >         the distance to the end of the list, due to moving the array elements.
> >         (However, it typically *doesn't* require palloc or pfree, so except in
> >         long lists it's probably still faster than before.)  Notably, lcons()
> >         used to be about the same cost as lappend(), but that's no longer true
> >         if the list is long.  Code that uses lcons() and list_delete_first()
> >         to maintain a stack might usefully be rewritten to push and pop at the
> >         end of the list rather than the beginning.
> >
> > The current form of StandbyReleaseLockList() is something like this:
> >
> >         while (mylist != NIL)
> >         {
> >                 int i = linitial_int(mylist);
> >                 mylist = list_delete_first(mylist);
> >         }
> >
> > For a long enough list, this is wildly inefficient.  The following
> > form is much faster for longer lists:
> >
> >         foreach(lc, mylist)
> >         {
> >                 int i = lfirst_int(lc);
> >         }
> >         list_free(mylist);
> >
> > I wrote up a simple test function for each form.  For a list of
> > 500,000 integers, the first form took about a minute, while the second
> > form took about 6 milliseconds.

Nice finding!

> > I've attached a patch that converts StandbyReleaseLockList() to the
> > second loop form.
> >

> +1, deleting everything at once is much better.  Deleting one by one
> using list_delete_first is a bit heavy; does the element shifting that
> involves memory allocation and copy operation which is unnecessary
> here.

+1.

I found several other instances of the pattern
"while(list){list_delete_first(); /*no-break*/}" in
llvm_release_context, gistProcessEmptyingQueue, AtEOXact_Namespace and
maybe transformGraph and processState in trgm_regexp.c.  We might want
to apply this technique to the three first, and maybe to the last two.

However, I'm fine with fixing only StandbyRelaseLockList(), which
actually suffers from list_delete_first().

regards.

--
Kyotaro Horiguchi
NTT Open Source Software Center