Re: Assorted improvements in pg_dump - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: Assorted improvements in pg_dump
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Oct-25, Tom Lane wrote:

> Yeah, I wasn't too happy with the static bools either.  However, each
> function would need its own field in the struct, which seems like a
> maintenance annoyance, plus a big hazard for future copy-and-paste
> changes (ie, copy and paste the wrong flag name -> trouble).  Also
> the Archive struct is shared between dump and restore cases, so
> adding a dozen fields that are irrelevant for restore didn't feel
> right.  So I'd like a better idea, but I'm not sure that that one
> is better.

What about a separate struct passed from pg_dump's main() to the
functions that execute queries, containing a bunch of bools?  This'd
still have the problem that mindless copy and paste would cause a bug,
but I wonder if that isn't overstated: if you use the wrong flag,
pg_dump would fail as soon as you try to invoke your query when it
hasn't been prepared yet.

"I'm impressed how quickly you are fixing this obscure issue. I came from
MS SQL and it would be hard for me to put into words how much of a better job
you all are doing on [PostgreSQL]."
 Steve Midgley, http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-sql/2008-08/msg00000.php