Re: parallelizing the archiver - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: parallelizing the archiver
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Magnus Hagander (magnus@hagander.net) wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 11:05 PM Robert Haas <robertmhaas@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 4:29 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > > restore_command used to be in recovery.conf, which disappeared with v12
> > > and it now has to go into postgresql.auto.conf or postgresql.conf.
> > >
> > > That's a huge breaking change.
> >
> > Not in the same sense. Moving the functionality to a different
> > configuration file can and probably did cause a lot of problems for
> > people, but the same basic functionality was still available.
>
> Yeah.
>
> And as a bonus it got a bunch of people to upgrade their backup software
> that suddenly stopped working. Or in some case, to install backup software
> instead of using the hand-rolled scripts. So there were some good
> side-effects specifically to breaking it as well.

I feel like there's some confusion here- just to clear things up, I
wasn't suggesting that we wouldn't include the capability, just that we
should be open to changing the interface/configuration based on what
makes sense and not, necessarily, insist on perfect backwards
compatibility.  Seems everyone else has come out in support of that as
well at this point and so I don't think there's much more to say here.

The original complaint I had made was that it felt like folks were
pushing hard on backwards compatibility for the sake of it and I was
just trying to make sure it's clear that we can, and do, break backwards
compatibility sometimes and the bar to clear isn't necessarily all that
high, though of course we should be gaining something if we do decide to
make such a change.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment