Re: parallelizing the archiver - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: parallelizing the archiver
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Tue, Oct 19, 2021 at 2:50 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > I keep seeing this thrown around and I don't quite get why we feel this
> > is the case.  I'm not completely against trying to maintain backwards
> > compatibility, but at the same time, we just went through changing quite
> > a bit around in v12 with the restore command and that's the other half
> > of this.  Why are we so concerned about backwards compatibility here
> > when there was hardly any complaint raised about breaking it in the
> > restore case?
>
> There are 0 references to restore_command in the v12 release notes.
> Just in case you had the version number wrong in this email, I
> compared the documentation for restore_command in v10 to the
> documentation in v14. The differences seem to be only cosmetic. So I'm
> not sure what functional change you think we made. It was probably
> less significant than what was being discussed here in regards to
> archive_command.

restore_command used to be in recovery.conf, which disappeared with v12
and it now has to go into postgresql.auto.conf or postgresql.conf.

That's a huge breaking change.

> Also, more to the point, when there's a need to break backward
> compatibility in order to get some improvement, it's worth
> considering, but here there just isn't.

There won't be any thought towards a backwards-incompatible capability
if everyone is saying that we can't possibly break it.  That's why I was
commenting on it.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment