Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-10-14 19:27:17 -0400, John Naylor wrote:
> On Thu, Oct 14, 2021 at 6:55 PM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> > Ah, I thought it was more than that. In that case, John, does meson's test
> > succeed after you did the "proper" install? Assuming it's in a path that's
> > allowed to provide shared libraries?
>
> Oh, it can act like installcheck? [checks] Yep, "meson test" ran fine (*).
> It still ran the temp install first, but in any case it worked.

As far as I understand Tom, our normal make check only works on OSX if
previously you ran make install. Which will have installed libpq into the
"proper" install location. Because all our binaries will, by default, have an
rpath to the library directory embedded, that then allows binaries in the
temporary install to work. But using the wrong libpq - which most of the time
turns out to be harmless, because libpq doesn't change that rapidly.

> * (all passed but skipped subscription/t/012_collation.pl)

That test requires ICU, so that's fine. I guess we could prevent the test from
being executed in the first place, but I don't think we've done that for cases
where it's one specific test in a t/ directory, where others in the same
directory do not have such dependencies.

Greetings,

Andres Freund