Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Andres Freund
Subject Re: [RFC] building postgres with meson
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Hi,

On 2021-10-12 15:55:22 -0400, John Naylor wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 12, 2021 at 4:37 AM Andres Freund <andres@anarazel.de> wrote:
> The build code looks pretty approachable for someone with no prior
> exposure, and feels pretty nice when running it

That's part of what attracted me...

> (I couldn't get a build working but I'll leave that aside for now).

If you want to do that separately, I'll try to fix it.

> > As far as I can tell the only OS that postgres currently supports that
> > meson doesn't support is HPUX. It'd likely be fairly easy to add
> > gcc-on-hpux support, a chunk more to add support for the proprietary
> > ones.
>
> That would also have to work for all the dependencies, which were displayed
> to me as:
>
> ninja, gdbm, ca-certificates, openssl@1.1, readline, sqlite and python@3.9

meson does depend on ninja (to execute the build) and of course python. But
the rest should be optional dependencies. ninja builds without any
dependencies as long as you don't change its parser sources. python builds on
aix, hpux etc.

Not sure what way gdbm openssl@1.1 and sqlite are pulled in? I assume readline
is for python...

> Also, could utility makefile targets be made to work? I'm thinking in
> particular of update-unicode and reformat-dat-files, for example.

Yes, that shouldn't be a problem. You can run arbitrary code in targets
(there's plenty need for that already in what I have so far).

Greetings,

Andres Freund