Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3. - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Alvaro Herrera
Subject Re: pgsql: Adjust configure to insist on Perl version >= 5.8.3.
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On 2021-Oct-07, Tom Lane wrote:

> > Maybe we can mention `corelist -a` as a way to find out the module
> > versions shipped with each Perl version.
>
> Hm, I don't see that on my RHEL box.

Oh, that's strange.  It's installed by the perl package on my system, so
I had assumed it was a standard part of a Perl install.

> It does exist on my Mac, but the output is very unhelpful:

Wow, it looks like it's completely broken in macOS.

> So this isn't looking promising :-(

Looking in the archives, apparently people use
  perl -MModule::CoreList
but I see that that module, at least in Debian, is distributed even less
widely than corelist(1) itself, because it's a separate package -- even
though it seems to be part of Perl's core.  Also, the module's interface
appears less helpful than `corelist -a`.

Let's leave it at that, then.  Your original is a step forward in any
case.