Re: Role Self-Administration - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: Role Self-Administration
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

* Mark Dilger (mark.dilger@enterprisedb.com) wrote:
> > On Oct 7, 2021, at 11:30 AM, Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> >> Because we've already decided how object ownership works.  I didn't write any code to have roles get dropped when
theirowners get dropped.  I just put ownership into the system and this is how it naturally works.  So you are
advocatingthat DROP...CASCADE works one way for every object type save one.  I think that's an incredibly unclean
design. Having DROP...CASCADE work the same way for all ownership relations for all object types without exception
makesso much more sense to me.

> > We've decided how object ownership works related to DROP ROLE ...
> > CASCADE..?  I don't follow how that is the case.  What we *do* have is
> > dependency handling, but that isn't the same as ownership.
>
> We have a concept of objects being owned, and we prohibit the owner being NULL.  You've already said upthread that
DROPROLE bob CASCADE must revoke "bob" from other roles, must remove "bob", and must not fail.  How do you handle this?

Uh, I didn't say it 'must not fail'.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment