Re: Triage on old commitfest entries - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Jaime Casanova
Subject Re: Triage on old commitfest entries
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Mon, Oct 04, 2021 at 02:12:49AM -0500, Jaime Casanova wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 03, 2021 at 03:14:58PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> [...]
> >
> > Here's what I found, along with some commentary about each one.
> >
> > Patch        Age in CFs
> >
> > Protect syscache from bloating with negative cache entries    23
> >     Last substantive discussion 2021-01, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     It's well known that I've never liked this patch, so I can't
> >     claim to be unbiased.  But what I see here is a lot of focus
> >     on specific test scenarios with little concern for the
> >     possibility that other scenarios will be made worse.
> >     I think we need some new ideas to make progress.
> >     Proposed action: RWF
>
> if we RwF this patch we should add the thread to the TODO entry
> it refers to

done this way

> > Remove self join on a unique column    16
> >     Last substantive discussion 2021-07, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     I'm not exactly sold that this has a good planning-cost-to-
> >     usefulness ratio.
> >     Proposed action: RWF
> >

> It seems there is no proof that this will increase performance in the
> thread.
> David you're reviewer on this patch, what your opinion on this is?

The last action here was a rebased patch.
So, I will try to follow on this one and will make some performance an
functional tests.
Based on that, I will move this to the next CF and put myself as
reviewer.
But of course, I will be happy if some committer/more experienced dev
could look at the design/planner bits.

> > Index Skip Scan    16
> >     Last substantive discussion 2021-05, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     Seems possibly useful, but we're not making progress.
> >

> Peter G mentioned this would be useful. What we need to advance this
> one?

Moved to next CF based on several comments

> > Fix up partitionwise join on how equi-join conditions between the partition keys are identified    11
> >     Last substantive discussion 2021-07, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     This is another one where I feel we need new ideas to make
> >     progress.
> >     Proposed action: RWF
>
> It seems there has been no activity since last version of the patch so I
> don't think RwF is correct. What do we need to advance on this one?

Ok. You're a reviewer in that patch and know the problems that we
mere mortals are not able to understand.

So will do as you suggest, and then will write to Richard to send the
new version he was talking about in a new entry in the CF

> > A hook for path-removal decision on add_path    11
> >     Last substantive discussion 2021-03, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     I don't think this is a great idea: a hook there will be
> >     costly, and it's very unclear how multiple extensions could
> >     interact correctly.
> >     Proposed action: Reject
> >

> Any other comments on this one?

Will do as you suggest

> > Implement INSERT SET syntax    11
> >     Last substantive discussion 2020-03, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     This one is clearly stalled.  I don't think it's necessarily
> >     a bad idea, but we seem not to be very interested.
> >     Proposed action: Reject for lack of interest
> >

> Again, no activity after last patch.

I'm not a fan of not SQL Standard syntax but seems there were some
interest on this.
And will follow this one as reviewer.

> > psql - add SHOW_ALL_RESULTS option    11
> >     Last substantive discussion 2021-09, currently passing cfbot
> >
> >     This got committed and reverted once already.  I have to be
> >     suspicious of whether this is a good design.
> >

> No activity after last patch

Moved to next CF

--
Jaime Casanova