Re: AIX: Symbols are missing in libpq.a - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Noah Misch
Subject Re: AIX: Symbols are missing in libpq.a
Date
List pgsql-hackers
On Thu, Aug 26, 2021 at 12:49:01PM +0000, REIX, Tony wrote:
> While porting postgresql-odbc v13 to AIX, we have found that (at least) 2 symbols are missing in libpq.a provided by
theport of PostgreSQL v13.1 to AIX 7.1 by the BullFreeware project :

> pg_char_to_encoding
> pg_encoding_to_char
>
> Looking at details, it appears that these symbols are present in version 12.8 .
> They were still missing in 13.4 .
> Something has changed between v12 and v13.
>
> Looking at more details, the way libpq.a is built on AIX is different from the way libpq.so is built on Linux.
> On Linux, the file "exports.txt" is used for building the list of symbols to be exported.
> On AIX, the tool  mkldexport.sh is used for dynamically generating the symbols to be exported.
> And it appears that 5 symbols (including the 2 above) are missing on AIX. Don't know why.

Would you study why it changed?  If $(MKLDEXPORT) is no longer able to find
all symbols, then we're likely to have problems in more libraries than libpq,
including libraries that don't use a $(SHLIB_EXPORTS) file.