Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce) - Mailing list pgsql-hackers

From Stephen Frost
Subject Re: preserving db/ts/relfilenode OIDs across pg_upgrade (was Re: storing an explicit nonce)
Date
List pgsql-hackers
Greetings,

> On Mon, Aug 23, 2021 at 5:12 PM Stephen Frost <sfrost@snowman.net> wrote:
> > Regarding that ... I have to wonder just what promises we feel we've
> > made when it comes to what a user is expected to be able to do with the
> > new cluster *before* pg_upgrade is run on it.  For my part, I sure feel
> > like it's "nothing", in which case it seems like we can do things that
> > we can't do with a running system, like literally just DROP and recreate
> > with the correct OID of any databases we need to, or even push that back
> > to the user to do that at initdb time with some kind of error thrown by
> > pg_upgrade during the --check phase.  "Initial databases have
> > non-standard OIDs, recreate destination cluster with initdb
> > --with-oid=12341" or something along those lines.
>
> Yeah, possibly. Honestly, I find it weird that pg_upgrade expects the
> new cluster to already exist. It seems like it would be more sensible
> if it created the cluster itself. That's not entirely trivial, because
> for example you have to create it with the correct locale settings and
> stuff. But if you require the cluster to exist already, then you run
> into the kinds of questions that you're asking here, and whether the
> answer is "nothing" as you propose here or something more than that,
> it's clearly not "whatever you want" nor anything close to that.

Yeah, I'd had a similar thought and also tend to agree that it'd make
more sense for pg_upgrade to set up the new cluster too, and doing so in
a way that makes sure that it matches the old cluster as that's rather
important.  Having the user do it also implies that there is some
freedom for the user to mess around with the new cluster before running
pg_upgrade, it seems to me anyway, and that's certainly not something
that we've built anything into pg_upgrade to deal with cleanly..

It isn't like initdb takes all *that* long to run either, and reducing
the number of steps that the user has to take to perform an upgrade sure
seems like a good thing to do.  Anyhow, just wanted to throw that out
there as another way we might approach this.

Thanks,

Stephen

Attachment